Teaching and Learning
TPIEC Course of study and assessment
The aim of the English as a Second Language course at TPIEC is to prepare students of primary-school age for the English language demands of mainstream classes in Australian primary schools.
The program of work is similar to that in a mainstream primary school but with a strong focus on language.
- English: (Listening Speaking Writing Reading)
- Studies of Society and Environment
- Physical Education and Health
The students participate in many activities along with Wanniassa Hills School students. These activities include: sports carnivals, walkathons, drama and music performances, assemblies and concerts.
As individual students become more confident in speaking English, they may join mainstream classes for some lessons during the day.
Each child is given a reader to take home each night. You can read to your child in your language and talk about what is in the book. Older students may have more homework. You can help your child by talking to them about the homework in your language.
Children are assessed continually in a variety of ways including observation, checklists, work samples.
There is a program of assessment and reporting:
- Term 1: Information for parents morning and parent interviews
- Term 2: Written reports and parent interviews
- Term 3: Learning journey and parent interviews
- Term 4: Written reports and parent interviews
Parents may contact TPIEC at any time to make an appointment to talk to teachers about your child's progress.